By Frans H. van Eemeren, Peter Houtlosser, A.F. Snoeck Henkemans
This quantity identifies and analyses English phrases and expressions which are an important for an sufficient reconstruction of argumentative discourse. It offers a scientific set of tools for giving a good based research that leads to an analytic assessment of the weather which are correct for the review of the argumentation. through ranging from daily examples, the examine instantly connects with the perform of argumentative discourse.
Read or Download Argumentative Indicators in Discourse: A Pragma-Dialectical Study (Argumentation Library) PDF
Best logic books
Brimming with visible examples of options, derivation ideas, and evidence options, this introductory textual content is perfect for college kids with out earlier event in common sense. Symbolic good judgment: Syntax, Semantics, and facts introduces scholars to the basic strategies, suggestions, and issues excited about deductive reasoning.
Edited in collaboration with FoLLI, the organization of common sense, Language and knowledge, this booklet constitutes the refereed complaints of the fifth Indian convention on common sense and Its functions, ICLA 2013, held in Chennai, India, in January 2013. The 15 revised complete papers offered including 7 invited talks have been conscientiously reviewed and chosen from a number of submissions.
- Practical Logic: with the Appendix on Deontic Logic
- Le Menzogne di Ulisse (L'avventura della logica de Parmenide ad Amartya Sen, Il Cammeo Volume 430)
- British Logic in the Nineteenth Century (Handbook of the History of Logic, Volume 4)
- 100% Mathematical Proof
- Category Theory: Applications to Algebra, Logic and Topology Proceedings of the International Conference Held at Gummersbach, July 6–10, 1981
- Sentential probability logic : origins, development, current status, and technical applications
Extra resources for Argumentative Indicators in Discourse: A Pragma-Dialectical Study (Argumentation Library)
In this qualitative variety of a multiple mixed dispute, the standpoints are connected in a special way. After all, a successful defence of the second standpoint implies that the first standpoint has been defended as well: if it is cold in a place, then – assuming the same standards – it is not hot in that place. A dispute, like the one in dialogues (5) and (6), is not (only) multiple in a quantitative sense, but (also) in a qualitative sense. 3. 24 VAN EEMEREN ET AL. /(+|−/p2) Quantitative multiple mixed +|−/p1, +|−/p2 −|+/p1, −|+/p2 Qualitative multiple mixed +|−/p1, −|+/p2 −|+/p1, +|−/p2 [D+|−/p2 D−|+/p1] p = the proposition the standpoint relates to; + = positive standpoint; − = negative standpoint; ?
On the other hand, ‘in my view’, like ‘I find’ and all other weak assertive attitude indicating expressions, can be concessive: (35) So, in my view, it is possible, but if – [. ] if they behave just as responsibly as .. er .. men I don’t know. (Eindhoven colloquial language corpus) Like in the case of ‘I find that’, ‘in my view’ has only one variant: the strong one. On the other hand, it is possible to combine ‘in my view’ with all types of propositions, not just the evaluative and appellative propositions to which a combination with ‘I find that’ is limited.
9) I believe that she is coming. (10) I think that you might as well forget it. (11) I’m sure that Barbara never said anything about it. (12) In my view, there’s no sense in pressing the point. (13) It is quite certain that aunt Corry wants another biscuit. (14) Of course, you mustn’t take your chance with those people. (15) Right, to my mind, the matter is cleared up now. Pragma-linguistic knowledge of the mechanisms active in language use teaches us that the use of propositional attitude indicators or force modifying expressions can tell us something about the force the speaker wants his assertion to have, and about his estimation of the situation.
Argumentative Indicators in Discourse: A Pragma-Dialectical Study (Argumentation Library) by Frans H. van Eemeren, Peter Houtlosser, A.F. Snoeck Henkemans